Here's Jeff and Leo watching the Olympics..a quiet sweet moment. This photo was not taken last night. Last night was the first night that I was gone past the hour of 8pm and by the time I got home at 10 pm it was HORRIBLE. Jeff and Leo both looked like hell....Leo sobbed for an hour. Which is the first time he's cried for that long. His face was all blotchy..tears streaming down...his body completely tense and rigid like some sort of medical emergency was going on. Mid-seizure or something. Now..hopefully as everyone reads this--you're thinking "good..i'm glad it's finally happened to you'. because it's THAT normal.
When I called home to tell him that I was on my way home (I was hosting The Moth--a storytelling series) I heard Leo SCREAMING in the background and I was in a panic. The woman who works with me made a sad face and said "it happens...".
But of course I'm wondering if it's because I always nurse him to sleep...is that the problem? Or maybe we just have to really get our bedtime ritual down..and start earlier on calming him down. We sort of follow his lead most nights. We know he's getting tired so we head towards the bedroom and start feeding him and calming him down. But maybe we're supposed to start at 9pm with just being in the bedroom. (he goes to sleep around 9 or 10..so wait--i should start at like 8. F*** it, I'll start now.)
It was so INTENSE and horrifying to walk in and see them both pouring sweat and looking completely traumatized. I'm still sort of shook up by it. I'M A WIMP. I get it..
But I have to be gone some nights to perform...oh boy. We're hoping the time change helps in NJ so that when I'm performing from 7-10 he'll still be on the west coast time and won't go to bed until midnight.
And we make our first trip on an airplane to see the indiana family in just a few days--!!! I'm excited and nervous about that too...
When it's 70 degrees here Jeff makes me wrap him up in wool and put ear muffs on--(practically) so I can't wait for Indiana.
AWWW!!! that is SO hard! he's addicted to you! just kidding - sort of... when lucy was little she would cry in the evening, unless we were home, in the dark in bed, nursing. mostly i think she was tired and over stimulated from the day - like she just needed to vent.. or chill... we had to leave a few restaurants with her screaming in the car on the freeway with me in the back seat trying to nurse her... oh joy joy. michael and i just didn't want to be at home every night at 730, so we'd forget and try again. and again. i'm not very helpful i'm afraid.
ReplyDelete