WE ARE MARRIED.
To celebrate we're laying in bed reading the New York Times. Well, Jeff is reading it and I'm doing.......this. It was lovely. And it all feels very surreal because the whole thing--including our little celebration in the park was over by 10:30AM.
We got up at 7am and got ready and got Leo ready and then drove to the bakery to pick up some fancy baked goods (from Huckleberry--the coffeeshop where Diane went every day she was here and spent 54 dollars when she bought scones for all of us. completely overpriced but delicious) and then I got in the car and I turned around and handed Leo a piece of chocolate chip cookie. to celebrate. and I had this tiny thought at the time that was like "he could get that everywhere...but maybe he won't" and then I looked back and it was all over his face and his clothes. I might as well have handed him a black marker. I was a little out of it with nerves. And my head hurt from shooting True Blood a few days ago--they used this fog machine that was very intense. Anyway...
So then we went and picked up Zach and he came out with his shirt off because Jeff was bringing him a shirt. He told us a lot of entertaining stories about Urban Outfitters...it's going really well there. He loves it. He folds well. Lots of hot girls come in the store. It's a dream job.
Then we got to the courthouse and went thru the metal detector and had to wait for our room....which was great. Zach was happy to be in a courthouse under different circumstances. Very healing. At one point I had to go to the restroom and when I came out I heard a lawyer yelling at his client "listen...I'm sick of this bullshit. When you file a petition with the court you have to..." and then he explained what he needed to do. Then his client asked him what floor he parked his car on and the lawyer was like "stop talking to me. I'm not in the mood." At first I thought the lawyer was being too harsh and ruining my wedding day but then I saw his client--he was wearing this crazy turban and had thick white wool gloves on and a green suit. So i had a little sympathy--he seemed trying.
We had our friends--Christie (a friend of mine from Amsterdam days) Jon Bernstein (Gay Jay in my book and long time childhood friend) and Michael Udesky (seattle friend) come join us. I would have asked Hilary (and Deron and the kids) but she works and Deron is against weddings. I had to ask all my slacker friends. (I'm not just saying that cuz she reads this blog) At first we weren't going to invite anyone--it was really just going to be a quick little ceremony and to get health insurance for everybody. But then my friend Christie invited herself--so she was going to come--so we thought maybe just a few very close friends. And it was fun. Jon brought a bag of old rice and threw it at us and we went to the park in Beverly Hills afterwards and drank champagne and ate. It was good to have them there because Jon and Christie cried. Which helped it seem like a wedding. Udesky claimed he didn't cry because he was taking a video.
The judge was very..judgy. He had sort of amazing emotional vows that he made us say. It was a little intense because I had no idea what it was he was going to make us say and suddenly we're in the middle of it and he's like "This is a perfect day.." and I had to repeat that. Which it was but I was just so aware of the words not being mine. NOt that I wouldn't say it was perfect. ANYWAY---the room we were in was totally cheesy and bad Vegas. So PERFECT. I wore a dress that I bought at Target a few days ago. My plan wasn't to wear anything special because of finances.....but then I was there and I saw this outfit I thought Michelle Obama might wear so I bought it. It's my old lady courthouse wedding dress.
It feels very right to be married to Jeff and to now call him my husband. He looks like a husband. And by that I mean old. ha ha. i'm a ball-buster!!!!
In the park we did some dancing and eating and drinking. And now we're home and married.
Totally wonderful!Love you all xoxo
ReplyDeleteYAY!!! I'm so happy. Beautiful. Love it.
ReplyDeleteYAY!!! xoxo
ReplyDelete