Thursday, August 18, 2011

HAPPY





or maybe he's been calling me 'hippy' and I think he's saying 'happy'. I'm just waiting for the day that he can say things like 'You look like Barney"...like my friends kid said to her one day when she walked out in her underwear. Yet another reason you shouldn't let your kids see you in your underwear.

Leo was saying the word 'happy' tonight as I read to him and I could tell that somehow he knew what it meant. I say that because he'd say the word and then smile. So, I'm no doctor but I think he gets the word. Which is amazing to me. And happy he is. To a loud and huge degree. He screams and shrieks and runs and laughs and waves his arms at your face like he's gonna slap you...a lot. It's a lot of life. A lot of energy. I am not surprised at all by this being his personality but it's quite a GIGANTIC personality coming out of such a small person. He sort of roars. Whoa..like a lion. Uh-oh. We doomed him.

In his music class he is a big show off. He insists on sitting on the teachers lap and must always be facing the other kids so that everyone is starring at him. I noticed this earlier but I thought it was sort of..go away but it's getting worse.

I also visited my first pre-school. The First School. When I walked in and saw all the little kids playing so quietly and sweetly in the little play yard...I started to cry. Tears fell down my face the entire time I filled out my name tag. And then I turned around and announced to the group of parents who were all standing and OBSERVING the children (already asking things like "how many of your teachers here have their bachelor degrees?") that I was suddenly so overwhelmed with emotion at this milestone...looking for a pre-school...telling them was maybe not the best move. They all just glanced at my name tag to see if my handwriting gave any hint to my unstable nature and turned away. It was Erma--the woman in charge of the pre-schools finances that jumped on it and ran over to tell me how she remembered being emotional too when she sent her kid to pre-school. At first I thought she was a parent...but when I realized she was corporate I was not as heart warmed.

It was not only the sweet nature of pre-school...but it reminded me of my pre-school. something that I never really think about but I went to Orchard pre school and I guess it was a pretty good experience. I can remember snack time and napping on our blankets...and a kid who had a broken leg who the teacher had to help use the bathroom. So all in all a pretty sweet memory--except for the open door of the bathroom as she heaved the broken leg kid on the toilet. Leo will be going to pre-school. That's just sweet.

This school was very old school and nice. But I wonder if I should find some hippy dippy school that deals with big old spirited children like himself...this was pretty low key. But maybe that's the way to go--to help give him some boundaries. Teach him things like sitting in a chair when he eats. Survival skills. hmmm. This school was also 950 dollars a week for 15 hours a week. dang. pre-school.

I haven't heard anything from Jeff. I assume he's on his last fishing trip. And Zach will be here on Sunday night. He's not staying here but I hope we seem him A LOT. Leo will lose his mind when he sees Zach again.

I've been auditioning for a few things...I Ben Stiller movie and a Showtime show. I thought I did well at the movie audition (thank you Danza for reading with me before the audition..)and I should have done well at the Showtime one but I screwed it up. So that's..that. And I bought a book on how to be a buddhist parent today and read it at the bar drinking a cocktail before I met the babysitter and Leo at Wahoos. One buddhist step at a time...

and i love my prius. a lot. the smugness cloud does grow....

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers