Friday, October 19, 2012

"Will all the blonde white ladies please come to the front of the room?"

"oh my god..this house in GIGANTIC....oh my god...look at this kitchen it's the size of our apartment. No wait--it's bigger."

This was me last night at our first pre-school co-op event.   If I wasn't gushing about how the hosts house looked like a fancy Hyatt Regency in Aspen I was gushing at how good looking everyone was.  Jeff suggested that perhaps I was struck by how glowing and vibrant everyone looked because we're at least 10 years older than everybody else there.     I thought for sure we'd chosen a hippy co-op.  In fact I thought that was the definition of what a co-op was...'a gathering place for filthy old hippies to connect and complain about their lives as their children eat organic strawberries".      But our wonderful school is actually a little Yale pre-school in the hills of Brentwood. 

Jeff and I sat in the back in the rowdy drinking section during the presentation part of the evening where they talked about building a community and the head teacher of the school-who we LOVE-gave tips on how to explain to your toddler why you're screaming at the TV during the election.    At one point when the head of the 'fund raising' committee talked about needing to make 100 thousand at our next fund raiser the woman behind me whispered loudly to her husband "come on..just write them a check!"  and for a moment I didn't know if she was kidding.  But she was.  Thank god.   Which made me realize though we are the artsy-hippy--apartment dwelling parents among some very stable looking west side parents--we are among OUR PEOPLE.   Very jokey folk who are obsessed with their kids but aren't overly precious about it.  

The only thing that made me mad was that after the official event all the DADS met at a bar and had drinks to bond and network.    I wanted to do that but it was very much "wives...you go home and be with the kids while us Dads go out."   For cigars and prostitutes I guess.   Though I'm not really sad to miss out on that because instead I came home to relieve our babysitter who ended up staying for about 2 hours and telling me her entire life story.  Which sounds like hell to some but it was bliss for me.   Her father is a motivational speaker who used to be a magician and he can move objects by the force of his MIND.  He also took a class in how to kill a man with his bare hands and took his 11 year old daughter (her sister) with him to learn these valuable skills. 

In fact--I think I'll include that link here. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=34O7hdSk0K4

This is our babysitters dad!!!   I've never felt safer....

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers